Areas of Practice
Our areas of practice can broadly be categorized into four major groups, namely, general legal and advisory services, company secretarial practice, specialized consultancies and litigation and dispute resolution. In practice, advising our clients invariably involves more than one group.
Our general legal and advisory services cut across a wide spectrum areas including but not limited to the following:
Our Practice Areas
We represent a number of corporate institutions, families and individuals with respect to litigation touching on a wide array of practice areas such as corporate and commercial law, banking law, maritime law, land law, labour intellectual property, construction, probate and administration and many others before the superior courts of Judicature in the Republic of Ghana starting from the High Court, Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court. We also represent clients before other adjudicatory bodies such as the Labour Commission and arbitral bodies. We have not less than twenty (20) years of court room practice both within the jurisdiction of Ghana and internationally.
We advise our clients in the maritime industry including ship owners, charterers, Protection and Indemnity (P& I) Clubs and shippers on very vexed maritime legal issues such as the enforcement of maritime claims and maritime liens; arrest and release of vessels; charter party rights; damage and /or loss to goods shipped, maritime mortgages etc. Click on the maritime corner link to see some of the cases we have worked on in the maritime space
We provide expert legal advice to banks and specialised deposit-taking institutions such as savings and loans companies, microfinance companies etc. In this capacity, we advise on issues affecting routine banking, regulatory compliance, banker and customer relationship issues, advising on properties pledged as security for loans; perfecting securities used as collaterals etc.
We advise our clients in the construction industry in relation to different aspects of construction contracts including but not limited to challenges relating variation of contracts, completion and handing over, retention fees, payment of interest for delayed payment of contract sum, calling-in of guarantees and bonds, and many others.
We advise our clients normally corporates and individuals on many labour related concerns such as drafting labour contracts, termination and dismissals, constructive dismissals, labour union actions, safe working environment considerations and many others.
We have represented and advised clients involved in divorce, custody and maintenance proceedings.
We have assisted in the incorporation of many corporate entities of various forms such as limited liability companies, companies limited by guarantees, partnerships etc. Where the entity incorporated plies its business in a regulated sector such as petroleum, aviation, banking, insurance and many others we have assisted in the registration with the regulators of these sectors.
We also serve as corporate statutory secretaries for a number of companies and we advise them on many corporate governance and corporate procedural matters. In this capacity, we facilitate the convening of annual general meetings, extraordinary general meetings and meetings of board of directors and board subcommittee meetings. We also provide services with investment and immigration matters, corporate structuring and re-structuring, company secretarial and legal due diligence, de-registration, liquidation.
We also prepare an array of legal documents and agreements, including shareholders’ agreements, share sale and purchase agreements, Management and Technical service agreements (technology transfer agreements), joint ventures, employment contracts and loan agreements, declaration of trust, employment contracts just to mention a few.
We provide expert legal advice to our clients who are desirous of acquiring or selling their landed properties. We also conduct due diligence on title on behalf of clients seeking to acquire landed property and undertake the drafting of the relevant documents.
We also pursue an interest in advising and representing clients who have been victims of medical negligence or have been sued for medical negligence and medical accountability.
We have expertise in the drafting of wills and succession planning in general. We have also advised and represented clients in applying for probate and letters of administration as well as the drafting of vesting assents.
COMPANY SECRETARIAL SERVICES
Our Company Secretarial Practice provides the following services:
- Incorporation of companies of various kinds as well as registration of External Companies(Branch/Liaison Office );
- Provision of Company Secretaries and Registered Office for companies;
- Maintenance of the company’s official Seal and Statutory Books for easy inspection by the directors and members of the company, and the Registrar of Companies;
- Preparation and issuance of Share Certificates;
- Handling of all corporate secretarial compliance issues raised by the Companies’ Registry in respect of companies;
- Drafting, preparation and filing of all documents stipulated in the Companies Act, 1963 including, but not limited to, board and shareholders’ resolutions, Company Forms and Annual Returns;
- Arranging, covering and recording minutes of Board and Shareholders’ Meetings;
- Provision of advice on, and registration of companies with, the Ghana Investment Promotion Centre (GIPC), Ghana Free Zones Board (GFZB) and the Minerals Commission etc;
- Application for immigrant quotas and work and residence permits for expatriate staff of client companies from the Ghana Investment Promotion Centre and the Ghana Immigration Service;
- Advisory services on corporate structuring and restructuring; and
- Conduct of company secretarial due diligence.
- Corporate Governance: We advise clients on the development of corporate governance systems including advice relating to board structures and composition, responsibilities and liabilities of board directors and board decision.
We are frequently consulted on a variety of specialized subject areas and tasked to research into specific questions by various organizations, institutions and individuals to provide in-depth consultancy services. We provide specialist consultancy services in the following areas:
- Land law and tenure issues
- High seas governance issues
- Local and international fishery resources management issues
- Maritime law
- Company secretarial issues
- Banking law issues
- Natural resource management and regulation issues
- Maritime Boundary Delimitation
- Ocean Governance and Law of the Sea
- Oil and gas